Assembly speech 17th May












17th May


Kia ora koutou katoa

Ngaa mihi nui ki a koutou


I really enjoyed watching the rugby games last week and I caught a couple of good tries. Thanks to everyone who went down to support our players and made sure that you followed our ARCH values while you were there. I am trying to get around to other winter sports in the next few weeks and I’m looking forward to seeing you all play.


I’d also like to say thanks to everyone who were involved with the Greymouth Council’s ten year plan. The council were really impressed with your responses and ideas and they have asked some of our school leaders to talk to them on 2nd June about the submission. This is a great opportunity for us to really make a difference in the future of Māwhera.


Uniform - make sure that you wear the correct uniform at all times - thank you. We have plenty of jackets to borrow if you are cold and only have a sweatshirt - ask at the student office to borrow one before one of our teachers takes you there! In terms of shoes - black shoes please and no scuffs.


Ākoranga

I was talking to a student about finding certain things in class difficult and I was telling them about my difficulty in lighting fires - to be honest it’s a bit of a family joke. I don’t like lighting fires and I like even less keeping them alight. I always find myself getting distracted by other things and one thing about fires is that you have to keep checking on them. I’ve had to find ways to make sure that I know what to do and keep myself on top of it! After watching youtube videos, phone calls, talking to people at work, alarms on my phone to remind me to check it and general trial and error I think I pretty much can do it and keep the house warm(ish). This weeked I used coal for the first time and again I had a number of conversations including with the people at the petrol station and looked on the internet for help before I could start to use it successfully.


The main thing that came from this was that I had to keep trying. I knew that every time the fire went out I would get cold and I don’t like being cold.


I know that most of you can light fires well and have been doing so for years but I wanted to share with you that all of us find things difficult, we all want to give up at times and we all have to learn new things! Use the internet to find answers, ask your friends and ask your teachers. The challenge for you all is to try your best in and out of class and when you are learning new things remember that they may not always be easy. That is ok - give it a go and don’t worry if you don’t get it right the first time or after many times - look for your improvements!


Have a great week - Kia pai tō rā

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021, Term 4, week 5

2021 Week 1, Term 1

2021 Week 4, Term 1